Best treatment for Conjunctivitis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mandalina, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    I have a hen who has come down with conjunctivitis.She is now fully blind in her right eye, can see some movement and light from left but that is about it.
    I plan on getting vit A to help treat her, but I know I cannot reverse the blindness. She is 25ish weeks of age.

What else can I do? I am sealing up the coop to make sure no more water can leak in during storms ( coop got roof blown off and knocked off base so the bottom became unsealed during a bad storm recently).Is there anything else I should administer besides vitamins?

Is this i fight I should just not do? I am not sure how I am going to care for a blind chicken, she knows where the food and water are bc she has lived in this coop her whole life, but we may be moving soon and when we do it will be a new set up. My husband and I are just unsure if we should cull when she seems otherwise healthy, but we are both very busy so I cant always give her the extra TLC she may be needing.

I know there are a lot of anti-culling fanatics and I am not looking to cause a debate, I understand some people believe every chicken handicap can be handled but I am not sure if we are capable at this time to deal with the issue and I know all of my neighbors with chickens would gladly take her in but they would eat her so she would be dead either way.

What would the expert chickeniers do if this was your bird?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Most cases of eye stickiness is an underlying respiratory cause. Have you given her an antibiotic like Tylan or Baytril? That would be my first step. I would also clean the eye well and then apply plain Neosporine to the eye and surrounding tissue. If she does lose sight in that eye, but otherwise seems fine I would pair her with a young nice roo or hen her age to be her buddy. I have a totally blind hen that lays every day and her and her little man walk all over the pen. He calls to her and tells her were things are and helps feed her... very sweet. Best wishes with your decision...

3. rednekchicken30

rednekchicken30 Just Hatched

Jan 10, 2013
    in my opinion if its very serious and shes living through pain you should just put her out of her misery (if you dont mind eating your own chickens), but if it is treatable then you can buy antibiotics to put in their water.this is just what I would do it were one of mine

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I never had this with a chicken but had it with a cockatiel I rescued. The vet told me to use terramycin medicated eye ointment and pure aloe vera juice in his eye to cure it. You could also try pennicillin either injected into the bird or given in its water. You can buy either or at Randall Burkley Supply. Good luck!

5. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    I have some powdered terramycin (farm variety) I have used before. Can I mix this with water to give? I also have a blind hen. She doesn't keep her eyes shut all the time, but does so when outside with me. she stays in her pen where she knows where food and water. Maybe just go ahead and mix for whole flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by