Best treatment for lice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by campbell5, Mar 10, 2015.

1. campbell5

campbell5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    Welp, we've got lice. I've read a bit about mixing Sevin dust with sand so they have a place to dirt bathe. Is that something I can do or is there a better treatment available?

2. LotsOLopsChicks

LotsOLopsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    NOT SEVIN DUST!

You have wood ashe? Can you get some somewhere? That naturally repels lice, put it in the dust bath or put it in a bowl big enough for the chicken and give THEM a dust bath! Clean out coop and lice dust with something besides SEVIN DUST!!!

:D

Best of luck!

3. LotsOLopsChicks

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    Make sure you clean nestboxes, sprinkle with lice dust (one that works for all farm animals will be fine) and get NEW bedding, burn the old bedding, bleach spray run, and maybe even lice dust run, then give each chicken a wood ash bath as stated above or if no wood ashe is availbe (any neighbors have wood stoves??) use the lice dust to dust them. Mannapro poultry protevter, buy at TSC, mix with water in a spray bottle and spray run and chickens (it's cold so lice dust may be better) spray coop with it too.

Putting wood ash in dustbath will help prevent lice too. and cure them :)

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I dust the birds with 5% Sevin or Poultry Dust.

-Kathy

5. campbell5

campbell5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    Lops - Any particular reason I can't use Sevin? Everyone seems to recommend it.

Kathy - Can I mix it wish wood ash and sand? What would be a good ratio?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I burn lost of wood, so I just dump the ash in places they are likely to bathe.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sevin dust will take care of lice. Redust your birds in 7-10 days to kill larva hatched from eggs. This will effectively stop their lifecycle. Dust inside the coop, nests as well.

1 person likes this.
  8. LotsOLopsChicks

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    Sevin can 1) Irritate you! 2) Irritate the chickens! Especially if your allergic to it or if it gets in the chickens eyes :)

Check these out:

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2012/12/natural-way-to-rid-chickens-of-lice.html

I'll be back with more later ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. LotsOLopsChicks

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
  10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We have been using sevin dust since the 60's in our vegetable gardens, our dogs, and chickens: We're still alive, no maladies, and still typing.
    Read "Treatments" in this link:
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/pdf/0018.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by