Best Treatment for Scaly Leg Mites Without Soaking & Scrubbing

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
So I’m pretty sure a couple of my girls have scaly leg mites. I’ve treated Lucky a couple times with Aquaphor, Vaseline, and previously I dipped her legs in canola oil. I’ve tried coconut oil, too. I don’t think any of those measures are helping. However, doing the soak and scrub is not likely to happen anytime soon. So today I picked up both bag balm and nu stock. The nu stock sounds actually kind of harsh, which might be great for killing mites, but is that really actually safe for a chicken? Which slather-it-on ointment is most effective? I’m not interested in the gasoline method or insecticides at this time. Thanks.

Any oil/ointment will work to kill the mites, but it can take weeks and weeks before funky scales are replaced with new ones.

I think ointment/vaseline based works best, I use bag balm.
What's worked here is to wipe the ointment up so it gets under the scales, pack it in there, then wipe down to remove excess from legs. It'll make their feathers a mess when legs touch them as they roost. Repeat once a week for a few weeks...then wait.
I've seen some almost immediate improvement, but again takes weeks for scales to completely be renewed...the worse/longer the infestation the longer it can take.

So I’m pretty sure a couple of my girls have scaly leg mites. I’ve treated Lucky a couple times with Aquaphor, Vaseline, and previously I dipped her legs in canola oil. I’ve tried coconut oil, too. I don’t think any of those measures are helping. However, doing the soak and scrub is not likely to happen anytime soon. So today I picked up both bag balm and nu stock. The nu stock sounds actually kind of harsh, which might be great for killing mites, but is that really actually safe for a chicken? Which slather-it-on ointment is most effective? I’m not interested in the gasoline method or insecticides at this time. Thanks.
Vaseline 75% and Betadine 25% is what I use. I coat liberally for three nights and then leave for two weeks and then coat again for three nights.
The problem is the mite eggs rather than the mites.
It can take up to a year for the scales to look normal again. The mites leave a trail of mite poop which is what makes the scales look crusty. If the scales don’t have that crusty look the mites are probably dead.

Imo you should never scrub the legs with any sort of brush. The scales are quite delicate when the mites have forced them upwards and breaking scales off during brushing is very easy to do.

Any oil/ointment will work to kill the mites, but it can take weeks and weeks before funky scales are replaced with new ones.

I think ointment/vaseline based works best, I use bag balm.
What's worked here is to wipe the ointment up so it gets under the scales, pack it in there, then wipe down to remove excess from legs. It'll make their feathers a mess when legs touch them as they roost. Repeat once a week for a few weeks...then wait.
I've seen some almost immediate improvement, but again takes weeks for scales to completely be renewed...the worse/longer the infestation the longer it can take.
Thank you. Good point to rub it against the scales.

Vaseline 75% and Betadine 25% is what I use. I coat liberally for three nights and then leave for two weeks and then coat again for three nights.
The problem is the mite eggs rather than the mites.
It can take up to a year for the scales to look normal again. The mites leave a trail of mite poop which is what makes the scales look crusty. If the scales don’t have that crusty look the mites are probably dead.

Imo you should never scrub the legs with any sort of brush. The scales are quite delicate when the mites have forced them upwards and breaking scales off during brushing is very easy to do.
Good to know! Does the Vaseline and betadine mix OK?

Betadine is a brand name antiseptic, helps kills bacteria to prevent infection and is probably inhospitable to other organisms....it's basically iodine mixed with something else.

Usually in liquid form I think it would be hard to mix it with petroleum jelly.
Go with bag balm, as you've already got it.

Everything I’ve read points to nu stock as a thumbs up. Dawg53 swears by it. That’s what I have in my kit.
I think u can use ivermectin pour on too but I think most people use that for bigger infestations.

Back
Top Bottom