best treats and at what age?

lowry075

Songster
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Southern California
Hi, I have a four week old and two three week olds. I gave small mealworms and the eldest figured it out and loves them...the two younger ones just look at them for now.
hmm.png

What else can i give them as treats? I don't remember at what age I introduced certain foods to my older chickens. I know my big girls love grapes and oats. Are the chicks too young to eat those things? I have parakeet grit in their brooder.
jumpy.gif

I'm having the same problem with my gang. I feel like they aren't eating the treats that I am giving them (they are 2 weeks), but the closer attention I pay I realize that they are nibbling at everything I give them. I'm just used to when I gave the big girls treats and they gobbled everything down, but these guys are so much smaller so they aren't going to eat the stuff as quickly. So far, the favorite for my kids has been grasshoppers that I have caught in the back yard. One of them even caught a bumble bee this morning! I have offered mine some strawberries (I don't think they touched those though), yogurt, and cantelope. Mine our outside during the day and I have sandy soil so I have not been supplementing with grit.... I never have.

Back
Top Bottom