Best treats for 1 week old's?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sekeyslaks, Oct 26, 2014.

1. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Hi everyone![​IMG]

I have 2 1 week old Buff Orpington/EE crosses(I think) and I was wondering what kind of treats are best for them when they are this young?

2. horselover101

horselover101 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    Kale, Spinach, and Mealworms, Are great treats for chicks!![​IMG]

3. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Mine go nuts for mealworms (I chop them up and rehydrate them). I've also been sprouting clover seeds for them, which they love. I know some people say not to give chicks treats, but it seems more natural to me to supplement the feed with fresh greens and insects.

4. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I give mine chopped hard boiled or scrambled eggs; garden produce that is in season (melons, cucumbers, spinach, kale, radish or turnip greens, etc.); sprouts/fodder like the big girls get when there is nothing suitable growing, cooked spaghetti chopped into short pieces (they go bonkers with this), small amounts of yogurt; and BUGS! It is strange to see how different groups of chicks react differently to bugs. I've had some who catch on and destroy them and then want more, then others who run screaming in terror if even a fly crawls into their brooder. [​IMG]

5. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I swear what they like best isn't so much a treat as an activity. I made them a large dust bath tub and mixed in plenty of chick grit. They scratch around in there constantly.

6. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Oh yes! Mine always love the dust box too! They get so into it, it is fun to watch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by