1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best treats to give to goats while being dewormed and during hoofcare?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Granolamom, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    I'm in the process of trying to find a milkstand for my new goats, so that I can get started on their hooves, deworm them, etc. (the momma especially is really on the shy side, and will not let me touch her).
    I know to put grains into the feeder for her, while she's being worked on, but my question is what kinds to get.
    Do I use "sweatfeed", or goat pellets, or can I use oats or some other loose grain? (we've been giving them rolled oats as treats, and she absolutely loves them, along with raisins and granola).
    My threesome has never been wormed, either (to my knowledge), and I plan to get Ivomectin for the first time, and then switch them to Molly's Herbals from then on. How much of the Ivomectin do I use, and can I give it to the 4-month olds, too? What's the best way to give it to them (I plan to give them the injectable kind, but orally. Do I just squirt it down their throats? And how do I get the mom's mouth open to do that???)
    Sorry for all the beginners' question![​IMG]

2. chemlight

chemlight Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Rydal, GA
    my friend told me rasions are not the best idea but i would'nt use sweet field goat pellets would work

3. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Most goats differ in these processes. The ones that are friendly are best ; they just stand there for you. Some of the skiddish goats submit once you get their head. Our friendliest goat lays down when you try to cut her hooves; i have to hold her up. Hope that you find what works best for you! Our Pygmies wear their hooves down on cement blocks, fence, and halved oil drums. I have not had trouble giving them wormer.

4. Granolamom

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:So, do you not have to trim their hooves at all? I've been wondering what I could add to their pen, for them to wear them down on their own. People are suggesting large bolders, but I don't see myself getting one in there. Cement blocks may be the way to go! Where do you get halfed oil drums?

5. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Granolamom, it sounds like you already found the Fias Co Farms website. The website also gives recommendations on dosage for Ivermectin. She also tells you how to use a sewing tape measure to get an approximate weight on your goats so you know how much to dose.

I had a farrier come out and do my girls feet the first time, it took him all of 12 minutes total for both goats and it cost me $40. A little pricey, but now I can do them myself. Good luck with your goats!

6. Granolamom

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:Yup, I have found the website, and love it, especially since I'm a bloody beginner and know NOTHING!!![​IMG]
    I very much like the idea of having someone come and show me how to do it the first time! How did you find this person? Perhaps I could put an ad on Craigslist...
    Thanks for the idea, Blooming Chicks!

7. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Pygmies I do not have to clip hooves. I have around 6 concrete blocks in there. I was lucky enough to get the halved oil tanks at the dump while I was dumping shingles. You can cut one in half with a sawzall(sabre saw) if it does not have flamable residue in it. Old oil tanks are fairly easy to come by. It may be hard to see off to the left.
    [​IMG]

8. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I have horses so I already had a farrier. I asked him to show me before I bought my girls and he agreed. I'm glad I did it, my girls hooves were turned under in the back--I didn't want to tackle that for the first time experience! I would just call some farriers--some one will do it, maybe even for a little cheaper than $20/goat?

9. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    When I trim mine I dont give them anything while there on the stand as they only get fed 2x a day and I dont give treats either as it will make them over fat. You want them healthy not fat. I dont give corn ...but if you want to give a little treat BOSS (Black Oil SUnflower Seeds ) is better for them than fruits or cornchips. Mine jsut get ont he stand andits done in a few minutes. Wormer is by weight.

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Treats during maintenence tasks? -- how about something that takes a loooong time to chew? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by