Best Turkey Breed to start with

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ladybead, Mar 18, 2015.

1. ladybead

ladybead Out Of The Brooder

I am considering raising turkeys and am curious what is the best beginner breed. I have heard turkeys can be tricky to raise and really want success. Thank you Rose

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Raising a beginner turkey all depends on what you plan on doing? The smaller varieties of turkey are better and easier to handle such as Royal palms, buffs, and betsville small whites are great heritage turkeys and can be kept as pets, to being eaten, and shown. Broad Breasted Bronze and white are used for meat only because they grow faster. What do you plan on doing with turkeys?

3. ladybead

ladybead Out Of The Brooder

We want them for food, something good eating and not mean.

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Than Broad Breasted Bronze or even the Bronze for that matter would be good. There is also only one breed of turkey but there are plenty varieties.

5. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    We got our first poults last spring and they were easy to raise. They were Royal palm Bourbon RedX. Raised 3 of the 4 we got to butcher the one decided to be dumb and sleep in the rain but it wasn't smart to put them out at 4 weeks. But they started free ranging at 2 weeks and did the rest of there lives. The2 we butchered dressed out at 11-12 pounds and were delicious!! We kept this big guy though. His name is Terry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by