Best turkey to get?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by becky3086, Oct 31, 2008.

1. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I want to raise turkeys but I would like to have one that can reproduce on its own but still makes decent meat. What is the best choice in your opinion?

2. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    You should look into the heritage turkeys. We have narragansetts, but there are several different ones to choose from. They all reproduce naturally and, according to many blind taste tests, taste much better than the commercial ones.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    That is what I am wanting to know. I have looked at them but couldn't tell anything about how they tasted from their description. Thanks.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    If you want turkeys for meat birds, get some of the broad breasted whites or Beltsville whites. They were bred specifically for that. [​IMG]

5. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Bourbon Reds would probably give you what you are looking for. Stay away from the BB breeds if you want them to reproduce.

6. BeakSanctuary

BeakSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Can anyone speak to the taste worthiness of the White Holland? I really have no plans to kill any of mine for meat or to raise any others for that at this time, but I was curious about the reputation. They're very friendly, at least my oldest jake is. He will come from a far distance if he sees me. Makes me feel "loved", lol.

7. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I know nothing about the Hollands.

8. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
  9. BeakSanctuary

Aug 31, 2008
    Thanks! Going there directly!

Don't miss the turkey humor going on in the Me, My Chickens, My Family thread, either, it will make you laugh 'til you cry.

10. BeakSanctuary

Aug 31, 2008
    IE on about the third page back entitled "For the The1Much - turkey attack".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by