Best Type of Chicken for a 13 year old 4-her

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ILoveHenrietta, Jan 18, 2014.

1. ILoveHenrietta

ILoveHenrietta New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    Hello.
    My daughter is in 4-h and would like to show a new type of chicken. This will be her 3rd time showing at her local county fair. She wants a fancier looking chicken. We have had a Rhode Island Red & a barbed rock. She loved them very much. As I was saying she really wants a fancy type. (Or one that will show very well). I was hoping for it to be a well tempered breed also. Please comment a few breeds below. [​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! There's one breed that is fantastic for young 4-hers. It's d'Uccles, they're fun, show pretty well, and they are SUPER tame.

1 person likes this.
  3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sound's like she has already chosen some great breeds already [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Russian Orloff's are different [​IMG]
    There is always the French Marans great chicken all round [​IMG]
    Good luck with 4-H [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Many breeds are great for young people getting into showing birds. I'd personally reccomend Wyandotte Bantams. They are sweet, fluffy, and have great personality. Wyandottes are good showbirds, and have been bred to a high state of perfection.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! As everyone else has said, many breeds can be great showbirds. For more showy (but still gentle and enjoyable birds), I would recommend Wyandotte Bantams, Leghorns, Brahmas, or Cochins. Silkies are great birds too, but only if you get them from a breeder (many hatchery birds are awful in terms of show-quality).

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

And just to point out, if the RIR and Barred are good and typey, then they'll show well because EVERYONE is showing D'uccles and Polish. There are usually very FEW RIRs or Barreds entered into shows where I'm from. Everyone wants the fancy chicken! :D

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

However, you'll need to get Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks from a breeder. Hatchery RIRS often have the wrong color (a reddish color instead of a deep mahogany) and are often too small. Barred Rocks from hatcheries tend to have poor barring (not as well defined as you liked), and also have problems with size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by