1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best type of chicken for kids to raise...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jambruins, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Jambruins

Jambruins Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Next year we are going to get a few chickens. My kids will be 1 and 5 and I want them to be able to enjoy the chickens too. What is the best kind to get that will get along with my kids and also produce a decent amount of eggs. I live in northern NY so they need to be able to handle cold winters. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    ide say probly a barred rocks or black australorps or buff orpingtons

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I know the eggs are small and probably not a whole lot of them, but my bantam cochins are so sweet! I plan on getting more int he future for my kids to show at the local shows!

This is my neighbor who comes up just to play with the bantams!

[​IMG]

My little barred cochin bantam

[​IMG]

4. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Buff Orps lay pretty well, and are very friendly.

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I have buff orps too, they are very nice!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

All of my chickens are pretty friendly, but the most friendly ones are my Speckled Sussex. They are constantly underfoot.

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

My vote is for Buff Orpington if you want one breed [​IMG] They are so big and fluffy and pretty. One of my BO's is super nice and friendly, and the other one doesn't really want to be bothered.

We have several different breeds, and my kids and I really enjoy having a variety of birds and eggs that are different colors and sizes.

[​IMG]

8. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Seramas are soooooooooo calm and so sweet

9. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Quote:That's funny, because my Sussex aren't friendly at all! They're not mean, just not friendly. The Tophats are fun to look at, but they're flighty. Bantams are friendly, sociable birds, but may be too fragile for younger children. I vote for cochins. "Buffy," our buff cochin, will follows us around and talks. If you say something to her, she responds with a series of soft clucks. You'd swear she knows what you're saying! She's pretty cool with being held too, tolerates the heat, and lays great eggs.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

10. Grey Bird Farm

Grey Bird Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Northern Utah
    My kids are 5,4,2,1 and we just got chickens. I'm finding that the production breeds are quite high strung but our Welsummer and our Australorp are the clear winners for kid friendly personalities and easy going birds.

I don't have any experience with BOs though. Good luck.. We have made sure to handle the chicks extensively so make sure they're good with people. They come when called and you can just reach down and get them with no flapping which is easy for kids.
    Good Luck!

It's been a GREAT experience for our family. My kids are in heaven.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by