Best type wall feeder to eliminate waste

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenAl, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    I am thinking of changing to a wall feeder in the run but am not sure if I should build or buy. The round hanging feeder has been experiencing a lot of waste since the girls started to lay. A couple of the chickens are now starting to pick and choose the choicest morsels in their feed and are flipping more on the ground than the others can eat. Did not have this problem until about a week ago. Using twice as much feed now as before. Since it is mostly a lightly cracked organic grain and fishmeal feed, which is close to a mash, I think I need a deeper rim around the edge to prevent this. I figured a wall feeder might be better, but I am not sure.

Thanks in advance.

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

It depends on how good you are at building things. If you are really good I would build it yourself if not buy one. Just something to think about, it costs just about the same for materails as it is just to buy one. Another thing to put into hand, how much time do you have on your hands.[​IMG]

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I've been thinking that maybe attaching gutters to the wall with end caps on them might be an easy and cheap way to go as long as you can think of a way to attach it to the wall.

4. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Quote:Somebody recently posted a nice homemade feeder using a plastic gutter as trough. I think it just had one or more pvc tubes coming down into the gutter but not all the way so feed could release. I use a trough type feeder (actually, drywall mud pan blocked against wall) and have little waste by not filling too full. They are free to bill it around, which seems a natural feeding behavior they enjoy, but they can't flip it out. Have had some scratched out by my roo a couple of times. I make em clean it up!

5. ChickenAl

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Both the plastic gutter and drywall mud pan sound like good ideas. The gutter may be more practical as the length can be decided on depending on where I put it. Both ideas are good and I would hate to have to build a wood one from scratch. I fill the feeder everyday anyway so either of these will work.

I guess flicking feed is a natural habit. Only just now finding that out.

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have a length of gutter in one of my coops, it not only cuts down on waste if you don't fill it up but allows you to spresd the feed out so everyone can eat at the same time. If your coop walls are wood it's easy to just screw it to the wall using the same brackets that are used to mount it as a gutter. You can have up to a ten foot feeder for 10-15 dollars and if you you use plastic gutters they will snap out for cleaning. Oh and they also are easy to adjust for height as chicks grow by just removing a few screws and raising.

7. ChickenAl

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    I'm liking the gutter idea more and more. Checked out the price and the stuff is cheap. A couple of end caps and a few screws and it's done. Easy, simple and not a problem to clean. Can't see a downside to this. Going to Home Depot this weekend. I'm even going to change the hang feeder in the coop to this style.

I was almost ready to build a wood one after looking at the cheap thin galvanized-steel box feeders that are for sale online. I even looked today at one of my wife's flower boxes and thought it might work. Glad I posted this.

Thanks to all.

8. Gazpergoo

Gazpergoo Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    NW Louisiana
    I'd love to see some pics of it when you're done. I've been using a small dog/cat food type dispenser. It works okay, but there is some waste when they get to scratchin'.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  9. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
  10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I had asked a similar question and I ended up getting the best feeder design ever! It was designed by another BYC member and my Hubby made one very similar.

Here is the post. The feeder is on post 10. I'll post pics of my feeder too. The big box sits on the outside of the coop, that holds 50# of feed. Hubby cut a hole inside the coop, to fit the tray inside. We have zero waste!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=535997

Here are a couple pics of my new feeder! I absolutely love how it takes up very little coop space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are finished with the tray, we added a removable lid with 2 1/2 inch holes. I don't have a photo yet. We built a shelf above the feeder as a roost and to prevent poop from falling.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by