1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best ventilation for this coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BaGAWK!!, Nov 6, 2011.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I'm wondering if you can tell me the best spots to put ventilation in this coop ? Let the cutting begin on Tues. and I wanted a game plan before then. Open to any suggestions.

I will be adding a roost bar over the chicken door to the run. I have 1/4" hardware cloth to cover outside and in the vents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The leghorn is halfway in and out of the chicken door to the run, he is blocking it and you can't see it but that's where it is.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I would put vents in at the top of the front of the coop, which is inside the run for your setup. I'd also put some small vents on the back corners, up against the roof but not on the side where the roost is located (that is, put it on the side that faces the hill). Warm, moist air would rise toward the front and be replaced by fresh air in the back. If prevailing winds would make this a drafty vent setup, you could place cowls over the vents, like those that are used to cover dryer vents on the sides of (human) homes.

3. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    This isn't related to ventilation, but I hope that bolt isn't the only security to the chickens. I think a racoon could easily open that. I have padlocks on my doors.
    I'm not an expert, but I would probably hold off on too much venitilation at this time of year. If the coop is cleaned daily and there aren't too many chickens they should be warmer in the box. Summers are the problem. I assume they only sleep in the box
    Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by