Best watch bird?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ben is a terror, May 7, 2011.

1. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    Which makes the better protector a goose or a rooster. I lost my last roo to a hawk. He was a bantam. I need a new protector. I have 12 standard hens 2 bantams and 4 ducklings coming in June. What is best? I really don't want chicks but if a roo is better I'll collect eggs twice a day instead of once. So best breed of each? I know they are both loud but which is louder. What breed of goose is the quietest? Do they make little geese? Friendliest? I want to get something before the ducklings arrive. Should I get a bantam roo or a standard?
    Thanks

2. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    Bump... Anyone?

3. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Hi! I have several geese that live on my farm and of my breeds I have found that my Pilgrims, Roman Tuffed, and Sebastopol to be the quietest while still remaining fairly small by goose standards. My Sebastopol is 11 lbs, my Roman Tuffed is 11 1/2 lbs, and my Pilgrims are 13 lbs. Canadian geese are very good with flocks, they are VERY VERY quiet and are only 9 lbs most times. I would go with geese over a rooster, then the only predators you need to worry about are terrestrial! Hope this helped, and good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by