1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best water & Feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mamatomany, Apr 29, 2009.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    South Carolina
    I have 15 - 8 week old chicks. I am having to clean their water out several times a day due to their soiling it....What do you recommend to use for feeding and watering where it will not get soiled. I have the screw on glass mason jar feeders/waters currently and they gotta go.
    Also, where is the cheapest to get the items? Thank you for your time [​IMG]

2. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

For chicks this age I set them up off the ground on something that gets the waterer and feeder up about 5 to 6 inches. That way when they scratch around and they want get as much stuff in the water and feed. I use a couple of bricks. It is heavy enough they can't move it. For younger chicks I make square platforms from 2 x 2's about 12inches square and covered the top with hardware cloth. I lay this down in the brooder or grow up pen and put the water on top. Reduces the mess alot. See Picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  3. Scoot58

Scoot58 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Carver MA
    I am interested in the answers to your questions. We are putting the final touches on our coop. We have 6 5 week old chicks and ! 2 year old hen I took in last week.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Get them off the floor.

Tow ways work best, for me.

1. Hang the fixtures on adjustable cleats so they can be maintained at the birds back height.

2. Make 2 x 4 frames with welded wire mesh on top, twice the size of the feeder bases..

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by