Best water pH for optimum health

Jitamon

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
I'm wondering what the optimum pH of water should be for optimum health? Are chickens like humans, and prefer a higher pH for optimum health? I have the ability to monitor my water source and can make any adjustments needed. My water source is very clean. Its rainwater that has been triple filtered and UV treated. Comes out 10 PPM and 5.2 pH at the spigot.
I'm thinking of mixing up some mineral water using Azomite. Is this a good idea or should I stick to putting it in the pellets?

Rain water with a pH of 5.2????????????????

More correctly - ACID rainwater. Do you live downwind of a Chinese coal fired power plant?

pH below 6.3 is considered "not optimum", 6.0 and below is considered injurious. 6.8 to 7.5 is considered very acceptable.

For H.... sake don't add any vinegar to this water!!!!!!!!!!

10ppm of what?

From what I understand in humans the ideal pH level of drinking water should be between 6-8.5. Your water with a pH at 5.2 has about the same acidic level as black coffee. Now I believe that if your poultry is drinking a water with a pH of 5.2 that you are going to start having problems with soft egg shells since the acid level of the water could start neutralizing the calcium your birds are taking in. You may want to find a way to get your water to a more neutral pH level of 6 to 7. (7 being the pH of pure water)

Chris

Back
Top Bottom