Best waterer for 17 hens

Ccdance75

Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2015
Hi there. My metal waterers keep getting holes. My plastic tub of water keeps getting nasty. What watering system do you recommend? I'm going to keep it inside the coop I think so that it won't get gross, but definitely up for suggestions. We have 17 hens so not sure how big it needs to be. Thanks!

I'd suggest a horizontal nipple waterer, though if you live in a climate where it freeze in winter you'll need to heat it, and if you live in a climate where you get very hot summers you may need to supplement with additional open waterers to ensure the flock is staying hydrated.

As I can't lift very much I use a 3 gallon waterer w/ 3 nipples for 10 birds. For your flock, you might want to have 2 of that size, or 1 larger one.

I'd suggest a horizontal nipple waterer, though if you live in a climate where it freeze in winter you'll need to heat it, and if you live in a climate where you get very hot summers you may need to supplement with additional open waterers to ensure the flock is staying hydrated.

As I can't lift very much I use a 3 gallon waterer w/ 3 nipples for 10 birds. For your flock, you might want to have 2 of that size, or 1 larger one.
Thanks. We live in the Northeast, so yes, freezing in the winter for sure!

I have a lidded food safe 5 gallon buckets x2. I installed 4 horizontal nipples on each. One is in the run and the other is in the coop. During the winter, I decommission the one in the run. The one in the coop has a bucket safe de-icer in it to keep it thawed. So far, this system works for me. I have 21 adult chickens.

For the grow out house, I have a 2 gallon version of the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom