Best waterer for bearded chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mandrogora, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Mandrogora

Mandrogora Chirping

Jun 28, 2018
    What is your favorite type of waterer for bearded chickens? Our faverolle girl is a hot mess this winter. Her beard gets wet then drips down her chest and everything ends up wet and filthy. The poor girl just looks pitiful. She's also being treated for possible sour crop and I have a hunch her dirty face isn't helping beat it. I've trimmed her beard some hoping it would help, it hasn't. Right now we're just using a feed bowl after their other waterer started leaking. I need some ideas. They have never used nipples. Would they know how? I'm in Montana, so long winters are something to consider. I do have electricity in the coop though so I could use a heated option if need be.

Abriana likes this.
  2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    It's worth trying a nipple waterer.

I have two girls with muffs and I currently use a heated waterer with horizontal nipples. One has no issues keeping her beard/muffs dry, the other is always a wet mess but she has a mild crossbeak so she dribbles on herself.

3. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I use a 5 quart (?) waterer and my Ameraucana hens are just fine. Sometimes if the water gets on their beards it looks odd but they do fine.

4. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Heated waterer with horizontal nipples is what I use. I have one bearded hen and it works wonderfully.

5. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Crowing

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I also use a heated waterer with horizontal nipples. My half faverolles don't have any issues.

6. ldrchickens

ldrchickens Songster

Jul 1, 2018
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I use a plain 1 gallon water bowl. All my girls use it fine except for one. Her head is always wet after she drinks as if she puts her head under water. lol

7. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

That is odd.

I have Ameraucanas, so beards. And I have only ever used black rubber water pans, and yes, it freezes here... never had a problem.

I wonder if it is all sour crop drool or some such? :confused:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: