Best waterer for bearded chickens?

Mandrogora

Songster
5 Years
Jun 28, 2018
NW Montana
What is your favorite type of waterer for bearded chickens? Our faverolle girl is a hot mess this winter. Her beard gets wet then drips down her chest and everything ends up wet and filthy. The poor girl just looks pitiful. She's also being treated for possible sour crop and I have a hunch her dirty face isn't helping beat it. I've trimmed her beard some hoping it would help, it hasn't. Right now we're just using a feed bowl after their other waterer started leaking. I need some ideas. They have never used nipples. Would they know how? I'm in Montana, so long winters are something to consider. I do have electricity in the coop though so I could use a heated option if need be.

It's worth trying a nipple waterer.

I have two girls with muffs and I currently use a heated waterer with horizontal nipples. One has no issues keeping her beard/muffs dry, the other is always a wet mess but she has a mild crossbeak so she dribbles on herself.

Heated waterer with horizontal nipples is what I use. I have one bearded hen and it works wonderfully.

I use a plain 1 gallon water bowl. All my girls use it fine except for one. Her head is always wet after she drinks as if she puts her head under water. lol

What is your favorite type of waterer for bearded chickens? Our faverolle girl is a hot mess this winter. Her beard gets wet then drips down her chest and everything ends up wet and filthy. The poor girl just looks pitiful. She's also being treated for possible sour crop and I have a hunch her dirty face isn't helping beat it. I've trimmed her beard some hoping it would help, it hasn't. Right now we're just using a feed bowl after their other waterer started leaking. I need some ideas. They have never used nipples. Would they know how? I'm in Montana, so long winters are something to consider. I do have electricity in the coop though so I could use a heated option if need be.
That is odd.

I have Ameraucanas, so beards. And I have only ever used black rubber water pans, and yes, it freezes here... never had a problem.

I wonder if it is all sour crop drool or some such? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom