Best Watering System

xoxodanamarie

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 17, 2018
New Jersey
I'd like to see what everyone is using in the coop for watering? We have a 3 gallon metal waterer that I'm not happy with and the girls aren't crazy about either so I'd like to find out what y'all suggest. We have a small coop with 3 girls.

Look into nipple waterers. There are both vertical and horizontal nipples, it's a DIY project, you install them in bottles or buckets. Water stays clean always. Some people set up heated nipple waterers in winter. You can do a BYC search and find many good threads on the subject. Here are verticals in bottles for chicks. I use them in 3 gallon buckets for the flock.
drinking (3 of 1).jpg

I am also fan of nipple waterers, especially the horizontal ones. Nothing else worked as well. My system of horizontal nipples, container (I use a plastic tote while others use a bucket or jug), and a stock tank deicer has kept my water thawed even when the temperature was -22. The bigger container also means the water only has to be changed and filled once a week during the winter which is a big plus to me.

There are quite a few threads about waterers. Just start looking down the page. You might have to go back a page or two but you will see several recent threads related to waterers.

Some members say their chickens never figured out how to use a nipple. I can only go by my own experience. First time I used nipples I just put it in the run and removed their other water. Within a short time their curiosity made them start to peck the nipples. They are attracted to shiny and red. Before the end of the summer both free ranging flocks of chickens on either side of me were also getting drinks at my house rather than go home. Then another time I locked some new pullets I had just gotten in a coop after dark. When I checked them at 7 am they were all getting drinks even though they had been using a bowl where I got them from. This past year I got 2 separate batches of chicks due to a cougar issue. They are all using nipples.

The big key to the whole thing is to remove all their other water sources. As i said previously, they are attracted to the color red and the shiny metal. I do not believe my chickens were smarter than others. I just think you have to allow them to figure it out.

You can buy the vertical nipples at most feed stores. The horizontal ones are available through Amazon and Ebay.

Last edited:
You will have to have a heated system for winter in NJ. It might be easier to wait till spring....
Some people do say their birds did not figure it out or won't use the nipples. I gave it to day old chicks, so no problem. When the chicks were integrated w the flock, they taught their elders who didn't want to miss out on what the littles were getting.

I'm wondering the same thing..
I've got 10 chickens and I'm using a 10 gallon bucket with 2 of these cups
Screenshot_20190117-205932.png

But it seems like they aren't drinking enough. And some of my eggs have been rough with some speckles.. Which seems odd..I heard it can be from dehydration.
Thoughts??

Those cup waterers do not work well in the winter. They freeze easily. For some reason they also seem to be the most difficult for chickens to figure out how to use.

Rough eggs can be caused by several things. Young and old hens might have rough eggs. The chickens could be getting too much calcium. They could have an infection. They could also not be drinking enough water. I read that it can happen more often in the winter if the water is freezing.

I'm wondering the same thing..
I've got 10 chickens and I'm using a 10 gallon bucket with 2 of these cups
View attachment 1645277

But it seems like they aren't drinking enough. And some of my eggs have been rough with some speckles.. Which seems odd..I heard it can be from dehydration.
Thoughts??
I also tried those cups for awhile. They stink, Now that i have switched to horizontal nipples i won't go back. Cups got dirty and they froze. With the horizontal nipples on a closed lid bucket, water is clean and very easy to keep thawed in the winter. Many articles on BYC on how to make them. Just don't forget you need a small air hole above water level so you don't get air locked. Air in the hole - water out the nipple.

Back
Top Bottom