best wattage for incubator bulb

tiki244

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jan 1, 2008
WestCentralWisconsin
I put a 25W bulb in but now I am thinking a 60W might be better. I have been running my incubator over night since I built it but the temp doesnt seem too even. I think I need to move the fan. I have to go get a thermometer/hydrometer today at Walmart(it was too cold this weekend).
I am just wondering if a 60W bulb would be better or worse?

(Im already jittery and I dont even have eggs in)
th.gif

Don't get discouraged Tiki. It took me most of a week to get the bator dialed in. You could up the bulb wattage but do it a little at a time. Your temps may fluctuate a couple of degrees either way but that is okay. You did install you ventilation holes in both sides and plug them right? Do you have any pics?

thanks Tazcat, Rooster red, and Sgray- I am going to get a 40W when I step out for the therm/hyd- I dont have any pictures yet. I want to move the fan though. I placed it towards the top and I want to put it lower and right above the light bulb. As it is now(90 angle from bulb and thermostat) it is blowing air towards the thermostat : it seems like the side of the incubator that does not have light, therm and fan is much cooler than other side. I want to move the fan above the light bulb and on the same side instead of at a 90 degree angle. thanks for the encouragement.
smile.png

I started with a 40W, moved to a 60W and am now using a 75W. The 75W keeps the most stable temps for my incubator.

I changed my 25 for a 40 and it does help I also dialed the thermo close then adjusted by moving closer then further away from bulb when I got the best placement I set it semi permanent, and I only have about .7 degrees variance.

Kasi

Do you use a regular light bulb or a heat lamp bulb.. I would think a heat lamp bulb but I have not seen it specified.. also how long does it take for it to come to the correct temp?

Back
Top Bottom