Best way to acquire diverse small flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zeusrekning, Dec 13, 2009.

1. zeusrekning

zeusrekning Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Upstate , SC
    Please excuse me if I posted this in the wrong area, but I figured that acquiring my small flock will be the first step of managing my flock.
    I want 4 hens for my two children to help raise,(for eggs,fertilizer, and the good lesson).
    I would like , gentle, large egged, beautiful birds.
    My choices are: 1 EE (gentle , blue/green eggs, beautiful) , 1 buff orpington (friendly , good looking) , 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte (beautiful , eggs) 1 black copper maran (egg color)
    What I was wondering is, will it be very difficult to get just these 4 birds? I see that pet chicken site has the first 3 and a maran . Im not sure my location meets the requirement for 3 chick minimum.
    I only know one family that would ,maybe, split an order with me. I could also just wait till easter when my local feed store gets there chicks and pick up four of what they have. But, they buy from Mt. Healthy . Which looks fine, but they don't have the specific breeds I want. And im leery that they market there EE's as araucanas .
    Just not sure if Im worry too much about getting specific breeds considering the reasons im getting chicks in the first place.

Thanks,

BTW. Im still firm in that I only want four chicks , knowing this will change . I originally planed on 3. [​IMG] But I feel I have to originally stick with 4. If I had to absolutely get a couple more they would need to be quick to eat bird and I'm not so prepared for that yet.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    I like going to swap meets. People sell their birds and you can pretty much get what you like, at least I always have. You've chosen some nice breeds too....you'll have a colorful egg basket:)

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    You seem to have thought this out fairly well! If you got the BCM eggs as well as some chicks, everything would be very complicated. I advise you to get Cuckoo instead. My Pet Chicken should be fine to order from.

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    zeus--I can just tell that you are going to end up with more than 4 chickens! [​IMG]
    You are going to see those fluffy butts and not be able to resist....So build a coop that can handle a few more.
    If I were you, I would wait until the local feed stores have a good assortment. They might also special order yours in with their order. Having just a few shipped is absolutely nerve-wracking, and harder on them than being in with a larger order. You should be able to get all of those at a similar age at the height of the chick season, except black copper marans. If they are just a few days apart in age you can throw them together no problem. But, trust me, you will end up with a few other ones....if not the first year, the next.

5. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    We wanted a little variety, so we got 2 of 2 (2 Cochins and 2 Dominiques) at a local feed store. All are brown egg layers, except Ricky the rooster, he just eats a lot [​IMG]

Ask around at your local feed stores and find out which of them orders/sells chicks in the spring. That will give you plenty of time to build your coop and run. I am currently building a small 4'x4' coop for my incoming spring chickens [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] My feed store will let me know what breeds they will be getting when they place their order in 2010.

Four chickens is a good number to start with, but I already want more eggs so that I can give a few away...so I will order more!

--Hugh

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    That's what we did. We went to the local feed store in the spring and said "Give us a couple of those, and three of those, and a few of those, and maybe some of those, too..."

7. zeusrekning

zeusrekning Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Upstate , SC
  8. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Quote:That is a nice setup! [​IMG] Built strong with all the bells and whistles.

I just started on my 4'x4' coop, so far I built the frame and primed the frame structure. I need to paint the finish coat and then attach the walls.

--Hugh

9. Theolyn

Theolyn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    I just got my mixed flock in September. I drove 3 hours to the nearest hatchery. They delivered my order to the feed store down the street. I figure the 6 hours of driving saved my chicks 2 maybe 3 stressful days in the US postal service.

Silly, I know. But I love them! [​IMG]

10. cnjtnt

cnjtnt Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Federal Way, WA
    If you are looking for Chicks, may be a bit tougher. If you want to get them as adolescents or adults, you could keep en eye on craigslist. We planned on 3 or 4, came home with 5. We are now planning on another 5 or 6 in spring. I definitely suggest doubling the amount of space you've planned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by