Best way to bathe baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoccerMomof7, Mar 29, 2009.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay the chicks are yucky, and I am putting them in a bigger, cleaner cage today and want to bathe them. I think I read somewhere that you could use mild detergent (like baby bath maybe?) and warm water? I was just wondering, anybody know for sure.

2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Use mild soap, like baby shampoo. Do it in the bathroom where you can crank up the heat, and make sure they dry completely. You don't want them to get chilled.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've never washed any chicks so I can't help you with what to use, but be sure and get them throughly dry or you're going to end up with chilled, sick chicks.

4. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    That is what I am worried about, them getting chilled.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd just move them to their bigger area and let them clean themselves up.

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I wouldnt wash them unless they are super yucky.
    How many babies did you end up hatching?

7. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I felt the need to wash several of my baby chicks and did so, one at a time when they were several days old. I used mild soap and warm water... towel dried the best I could and then blow dried them (low temp) until fluffy and dry. I then immediately put them back under their light. It's been several days and they're all fine... no ill effects.

8. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I ended up having 12 hatch! yay all fertile eggs hatched! Do you have any in Gabrielle?

9. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    I bathe mine if dirty, warm water, mild soap, towl dry for a few then blow dry on low, never had a problem, and they seem to like the blow dry heat really well. put them back under their heat lamp once dry and your good.

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I wouldn't chance it unless they're so dirty that it's a risk to their health. Since they're chicks they'll shed the nasty feathers/down pretty soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by