Best Way to Catch and Contain a peacock--help!

winniem13

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
Eastern North Carolina
We have 3 adult peacocks that free roam. The poultry inspector is coming on Friday of this week for NPIP testing and we now have to figure out how to catch and contain them before he comes. They roost on top of our chain link fence or on top of our chicken coop/shed. Tools we have available are a net (2 foot circle with 5 foot pole attached), chicken catcher hook, shrimping net (hey, I've thought of every way possible!), and other items like a large card board box. What is the best way to catch them? They seem do fragile to me like I might snap their neck if they are in a net and start struggling! Then, we have to contain them until the morning, which we can do in a covered, locked pen about 10x10. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It will up to myself, my mom and my 8 yr. Old daughter to get it done!

I have a brooder pen on the ground, i just leave the door open and mine go in and i shut the door and catch them , i have 19 free rangers and this works well for me when i need to treat them for worms and such.

thumbsup.gif

I've wondered this too since I have had a few injuries and they just fly up into the rafters way above our head. Can't seem to catch them. Instead I just end up watching feet to see if they are healing ok on their own. /sigh The one time we were able to catch them it's because everyone was on the floor and refused to roost after our first owl attack. We put them in the table brooder and they were ******.

I corner them with a blanket and throw it over them, then wrap it around them and do whatever i need to.

Chickens i just walk up and grab them by the feet, cause none of them move when i walk by, they are easy
big_smile.png

As follow up, your ideas were great and worked perfectly! We didnt feed them that morning so in the afternoon when I moved their whole feed tray into the covered padlock area, they went right on in, shut the door and they were mine! No flapping, fighting or most importantly no one was hurt! Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom