best way to clean eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jim41, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Jim41

Jim41 In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    Yeah! got my first egg today, and was wondering what the best way to clean them is?

2. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    I put them in the fridge until ready to use. Then I wash with warm water and soap quickly. Make sure to rinse well.

3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Congrats on first egg I just got mine 2 days ago!![​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Why clean them? If the hens don't sleep in the nest boxes, they won't be poopy, and there is no need.

The shells are porous. If you just have to wash them, be sure you wash in water that is warmer than the egg, so bacteria will tend to move outward rather than inward. I would not use a soap on them. A very mild bleach solution is the most I would use, if I just felt like I had to disinfect them.

They have a natural coating that helps protect them; when you wash, you remove the coating.

5. Jim41

Jim41 In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    Thanks for the info its very appreciated.

6. fasbendera

fasbendera Songster

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    [​IMG]I read that the eggs have a natural coating that helps keep them fresh and you aren't suppose to wash them until you want to use them. You should also crack them on a flat surface to eliminate any impurities mixing with the inside contents. "When I give my eggs to friends/family I always include a little feather so they remember they are fresh. They love it.

7. Zuesdude

Zuesdude Songster

May 6, 2009
    OH
    Egg Farms wash their eggs that you buy in the store. I wash my eggs in hot water with little dawn and use a paper towl

8. lovemychix

lovemychix Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Quote:I do the same thing. I wash them like dishes. [​IMG] Load them up and wash with dawn and dry on a towel. Best way I've found.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I never refrigerate my eggs and I don't wash them. If they are exceptionally dirty I wipe them clean with a dry Scotchbrite pad that I keep on top of the nest box.

10. naturegirl

naturegirl In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Central New York
    I read an artical in Mother Earth News about egg washing and the best way to store them. A study was conducted and they found that eggs that are unwashed can be stored at room temp for up to 90 days. Once they are refrigerated they have to continue in that state or they will go bad. As for washing, you are washing off the protective coating called the "bloom" it is there for a reason, to protect the egg. I would only wash the eggs before consumption.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: