Best Way to clean Incubator after hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Parson's Wife, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My question: I have a Little Giant, styrofoam incubator...I just had a 'hatch', waiting for the last few eggs to hatch...I would like to get input on the best way to clean my incubator. Anyone? [​IMG]
    How do I get it sanitized and ready for the next hatch? [​IMG]

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I am so glad you asked this I was thinking the same thing this morning - I also have the Little Giant and I have ducks eggs in there - I want to get it cleaned and ready for the next round when these are done.

congrats on your hatch

Julie

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Yeah, I need to get that info too. One of my incubators is my neighbors old used one. I cleaned it out with hot water, dish soap and pinesol disinfectant. I hope that was enough. My new bator is being used as a hatcher right now. When those hatch, I want to clean it and move the eggs from the used one into the new one. The new one just holds temps a little better without so much adjusting.

4. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    This might sound stange...but it really is the best. A lot of top breeders do it this way.

scrub with antibacterial dish soap, let it dry (open) in the sun ALL day. The sun kills more than we can.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Just plain old weak solution of bleach and soapy water...rinse well....

6. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I also clean mine just like pinenot said...works great [​IMG]

7. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

be careful with Pine Sol -- I don't know about chickens (am a newbie) but I know it can be toxic to cats

my guess would be use Dawn dish detergent (don't know of anything that cuts grease and grime better, except maybe Tide laundry detergent), rinse VERY well, slosh it out with a weak chlorine bleach solution, then as mentioned, put it out in sun and wind to dry (UV radiation kills whatever the bleach doesn't)

Candy

8. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by