best way to clean waterers and feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PetChickenBoo, Jul 18, 2010.

1. PetChickenBoo

PetChickenBoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    What's the best way to clean and sanitize the waterer and feeder? I read you can use vinegar but is that diluted or straight? Can you use hot water and dish soap? I don't have a dishwasher so it would have to be by hand.

Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I use white vinegar. Somewhat diluted. I rinse it, then pour in some vinegar, add some hot water and scrub with a sponge. Rinse really well and they are sparkling clean. It doesn't leave soap residue and it's cheap.

3. SG_Chicken

SG_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Laramie, Wyoming
    You can sanitize with a tsp of bleach to a sink full of water. Just wash as normal then dunk in the bleach water for about 20-30 seconds and allow to air dry.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try a 10% chlorox solution and allow to air dry.

5. kannm

kannm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    How often would you want to do this? Our waterer is doing really well at staying nice. We wash it out and spray off anything that looks wrong, but we have not had to use soap or bleach. We don't use ACV or white vinegar either. Maybe our plastic is resistant to growth? We have well water, so there is no chlorine or additives to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by