1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best way to cook a Capon

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Pault76, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Pault76

Pault76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Wolf Lake,IL
    While the wife and I were couponing last week our grocery store had Capon's on closeout for 69 cents a lb. I picked up the last one they had. He's in the fridge thawing out and i'm trying to decide on how to cook him up. Any ideas i'm not really wanting to turn him into chicken and dumpins.

Thanks
    Paul

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You should be able to cook that any way you cook any young bird.

I'd roast it to get the full capon experience. Then I could get just capon flavor and texture and find out if it really is good enough to bother with.

Wow 69 cents a pound. Good find!

3. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Capons are roosters that are castrated while quite young, they're not as aggressive because of the lack of testosterone and can be raised together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capon

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Pault, sorry, not an answer to your question...but what kind of chick is that in your icon?

5. Pault76

Pault76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Wolf Lake,IL
    The chick is a cochin. We have 6 of them and they are the my wifes babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by