Best way to cook a leghorn roo for a special girl.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by patman75, Jul 4, 2011.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am processing two 20 week old leghorn roos tomorrow for a neighbor who wants to get rid of them. The roos free range and are feed conventional layer feed if they want it.

My plan is have the neighbors over for dinner to eat the roos at a later night. Their youngest daughter who has rheumatoid arthritis who can’t walk very well was always chased by the roosters and had to fend them off with a stick. She has a special requested that she wants to eat the rooster. Well I can't turn down that request for such a sweetie.

I want to make sure I prepare and cook the roos properly for her. I have never eaten a leghorn and from what I have read they don’t have much meat on them.

I have some ideas; here is what I’m thinking. If there is a better option please let me know.

1. Marinade in olive oil and herbs for a few days and then cook them on the BBQ, cut in half , on low and slow.
    2. Slow cooker, chicken noodle soup.
    3. ???

Thanks for the help.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Slow cooking sounds like a good idea. When cooking for kids, it never hurts to ask the parents if there are any special flavors or sauces she likes or especially dislikes. If the family is not very used to eating their own chickens, it might be a good idea to serve it off the bone. You could make something like shredded barbecue chicken sandwiches.

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I think my favorite way I've had rooster is in the Dutch oven. Rub him all over with oil or butter, season him up with some coarse black pepper, salt and poultry seasoning, and then stick him on a bed of new potatoes or quartered red potatoes with some baby carrots and maybe some quartered small onions. Throw in a bay leaf and maybe a few other stalks of fresh herbs, maybe half a cup of water to get things started until he makes broth, and then cover and cook for a couple of hours at 300 or so.

I just processed a year old + roo, and I'm between doing that and simmering him down for some homemade chicken dumpling soup. [​IMG]

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I would brine a WLH, as opposed to olive oil, then cook low and slow with an oil baste

Kids love 2 things best about chicken dinner; the drumsticks and Chicken & Dumplings

5. patman75

Quote:WLH??

6. patman75

scratch'n'peck :

Slow cooking sounds like a good idea. When cooking for kids, it never hurts to ask the parents if there are any special flavors or sauces she likes or especially dislikes. If the family is not very used to eating their own chickens, it might be a good idea to serve it off the bone. You could make something like shredded barbecue chicken sandwiches.

This is good. I'll find out what they like. BBQ sandwiches sound yummy. thanks!​

7. patman75

Quote:This sounds yummy too.

8. patman75

Quote:WLH??

Forget it, It just hit me. Duhhh. I thought WLH was some kind of sauce for a minute. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by