1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Best way to cull !!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maxi&les2017, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Gun

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Broom stick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Snapped neck

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. maxi&les2017

maxi&les2017 In the Brooder

Nov 6, 2017
    So still new to chickens we now had 19 now 18 one of our girls was sick after 7 days of healing in the end we had to cull !(out first cull ) !! Now we snapped her neck but it did not go a smoothly as we had hoped as am finding out I can't get a stun gun :/ I have looked everywhere I find this would be better for us to use if not that a air rifle? Are we aloud to cull this way or is there laws on this ?? Thanks in advance

2. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

I’m not sure about the stun gun laws. Probably depends on where you are.
    I do know that The Chicken Chick has an article on cervical dislocation for culling swiftly and (hopefully) painlessly.

3. Laodicia

Laodicia Crowing

Jan 30, 2016
    Canada
    I personally wouldn't go with any of these. My first cull I tried broom stick... i felt it didn't go well but... she died quickly.

I wouldn't feel confident breaking their neck strength wise. I saw my dad do it once when I was little.

and gun is kinda over kill but if it's allowed then maybe - I've never fired a gun though.

I would go with cutting their throat. it works. though instructional info is hard to find online. an experienced assistant would be best the first few times it was needed to be done.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. birdofhermes

birdofhermes Songster

Aug 16, 2017
    can you bring them to the vet to be put down with an overdose of painkiller?

5. tastyacres

tastyacres Crowing

Feb 23, 2017
    Waiting foe snow
    I put down 6-chickens the other day and broke there neck.

Lay chicken on its back, put pole over its head, then as soon as you pull put both feet on either side of pole and pull up... Chicken dead really fast!

Laodicia likes this.
  6. tastyacres

tastyacres Crowing

Feb 23, 2017
    Waiting foe snow
    Slitting neck is by far the best!

7. Laodicia

Laodicia Crowing

Jan 30, 2016
    Canada
    I believe you are describing broomstick. i instead promptly forgot exactly what to do once the stick was in place and pulled chicken by legs down. (this was a few years ago.) dont think ill go into more detail...

eta: except to add that this is infact not the proper way.

8. tastyacres

tastyacres Crowing

Feb 23, 2017
    Waiting foe snow
    I always used a metal pole but i'm sure a broomstick would work to.

Brahma Chicken5000 and Laodicia like this.
  9. Laodicia

Laodicia Crowing

Jan 30, 2016
    Canada
    this description is better than any youtube video or other info on this method I've found.

10. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict Premium Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    If one of my chickens was sufferinfo that’s what I would do.

birdofhermes likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: