1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best way to entertain the kids-Steve Irwin!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bantymum, Oct 17, 2007.

1. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I dont shock easily but this really amazed me.
    I had a house full of children on the weekend which was beautiful and they were going nuts!!
    anyhow I put foxtel on (satelite tv) and played back some recorded segments on STEVE IRWIN- bless his dear soul!
    Well, I sat there and watched these noisy jumpy kids, The difference in mood changed in a nanosecond! They sat there with their mouths open, listening and hanging on to every word he said. It was beautiful to see first hand the impact that Steve had on young people.
    If you can get hold of some of his documentaries, try and show them to children and watch the magic!! CRIKEY!!!
    ps, I dont condone the use of TV babysitters!! however there is something special about this guy and he still conveys conservation to our next generation!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    My DH and DD were watching him last night on Animal Planet. She's only 2 1/2 but even she will sit there and watch him wrangle crocs. Great guy, sad he had to die so young.

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    My son who is now 5 yrs old loves Steve Irwin. I mean ever since he would sit in front of the tv long enough to see a whole show, he would watch him. Parker loves crocs, alligators, well pretty much every animal. The things that Steve has taught my son are precious. He now watches Bindi, the Jungle Girl on Discovery kids. I tease him that she is his girlfriend. When Steve passed last year, we were all in shock. So funny because you know that it felt like he was family. I hated to break it to my son. But, when I did he said he already knew because he saw it on the news. Wow, they see a lot more than we give them credit for.

4. bantymum

Yes, I had tears when he passed, but the best thing is, he still lives on for me as I only saw him on tv so nothing has changed for me.
    Yes Biindi is a cutie, my son also likes her!!
    Perhaps one day,
    Im going to call my next girl chook Biindi!
    and I had an axalotyl named Steve Irwin (Mikey named him!)

5. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I totally understand where you're coming from.
    My soon to be 6 year old loves Steve Irwin.
    She could watch him for hours.
    I was totally shocked when he died, but even more so when I learned how he died.
    I cried when I watched Bindi give her speech at the memorial; I felt so sorry for his family.
    He did contribute so much to conservation, and that is what he will be remembered for and also why he will never be forgotten.

6. bantymum

Yes, Amen to that,
    I wish I had got up north to His Zoo when he was still with us, Im going next year .

7. chickenbutt

chickenbutt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2007
    Richmond, Virginia
    It still works with my husband and me. We wasted like 3 hours one Saturday watching him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by