Best way to get a variety of day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ErinG, Nov 27, 2010.

1. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    We have 5 laying hens and would like to get 7 or so more in the spring. I'd like to get day old, vaccinated chicks preferably from Murray McMurray if I can. The issue is that I would like several different breeds, and just one or two of each. We also want to get some meat birds and turkey poults, so we could meet the minimum easily, but the onsie twosie thing seems like it could be an issue. On the website it looks like you can order just one or two, but a friend told me she thought there was a 10 chick minimum for each breed. Does anyone have experience or advice?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I can tell you that McMurray and most of the rest will require a minimum order of 25. However, My Pet Chicken will ship less. And most hatcheries could care less how many of what breed you order.

3. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I see in their catalog that I can order as few of each as I want as long as I get 25...sweet!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Yep you can, but if you want less than 25 (who would want less??) My Pet Chicken will let you order less.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You know tho, if you order just one of a certain breed, chicks are very fragile and it's not unusual to loose some due to shipping etc. If a particuliar breed is very important to you , you should consider ordering more.

There is also a "Natures Hatchery" in Naperville, Il. I believe you can pick and choose, one here, one there. You could always check them out. Whatever you do get please post photos, we love to see them on the forum. Good luck and many happy peeps to you.

6. lovetocook

lovetocook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Washington, NJ
    Yes and Healthy Chicks & more will let you order as few as 10 total. [​IMG]

7. ErinG

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks for the advice! I'll check those hatcheries out.

8. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    ideal has a 25$ min order and most of there chicks are 2.50$ each so 10 chicks is an order though the get you with a small order fee and a 1/4 box fee comes out to about 34.78$ if i remmber and you can order as few as 1 of each type

9. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    Also we ordered a small order, and as long as they have the 5-6 different breeds you want, I don't think it's an issue. We ordered through Meyer and had great customer service.

10. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Ideal will ship small orders I think they have a $$$$ minimum. mypetchicken will also ship small orders. I was going to do that last year but they had a great special so I got that.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by