Best way to get blood off a Rooster

wolfwalker

Songster
5 Years
Dec 21, 2018
Jewell County Kansas
So 'Meanie' (named by my nephew for some odd reason) cut his wattle a few hours ago. Blood everywhere. Dang nab it (tame version of what I said). So his chest and neck is covered in congealed and dry blood that is matting his feathers into lumps. I quickly dabbed (read smooshed a ton) of corn starch to act as a clotting agent on his wattle and now comes the fun part. How the heck do I was the blood off. I've never washed a live chicken before.

Going to have to rename him "Dumb Nuts' ( well the unclean version that is). I found the screw that went through the wood just that little bit and the only good thing out of this is he likes to be held.

When they wash chickens for a show they often use Dawn dish washing detergent in warm water. Do this outside. He won't like it. He will flap his wings, hold on tight to his legs and feet. You will get soaked. He may calm down after a little bit but be prepared for a physical encounter.

An alternative is to wait a few days and see if he cleans himself when he takes a few dust baths.

If there's cornstarch on it I would think you could brush off most of it once it's well dried and clumped.

The other chickens will probably help him groom off anything that's left.

Thanks everyone. Dumb Dumb (clean version remember lol) was dabbed with soapy water then placed in the garden with his girls while I fixed their run. A few less weeds that I don't have to pull tomorrow and now that the mud is dried and he has had a chance to dust bath again, he's clean. One itty bitty screw head, maybe 5mm protruding is all it took. worse than toddlers.

Back
Top Bottom