Best Way to Get Chickens from coop to mobile tractor each day

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sunnysimplelife, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Sunnysimplelife

Sunnysimplelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    Because of my dog and city lot I will not be free ranging my chickens but I want them to get out in the yard daily. We have a mobile tractor but for now it involves me wrangling each of the pullets and placing them one by one in the tractor. Anyone do this as well and have some good ideas on a better way.
    Thanks

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I used to put 2-3 hens in a pet carrier when I took them to the back backyard.Now I just let them out of the coop and guide them all back there using a stick.They pretty much know where to go.If you had a fenced yard(I do) I would guide them,otherwise you are stuck with the carrying.In the least a large pet carrier in a wheelbarrel so you can move them all at once. I would lock the dog up during transport,but always prep for a neighbors dog.

3. Sunnysimplelife

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    Yes we are all fenced just it is low on one side but that sounds like how I would like to do it.

4. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    By accident I trained my chickens. When I took treats to the girls, I would have it in a red plastic cup (don't think color matters) Shake the cup and talk to them. Later when we wanted to take them across the yard to the garden I opened the door, shook the cup, maybe sprinkle out a few seeds or let the lead chick eat a few from the cup and they follow us across the yard. I always sprinkle a few more once we get to the destination. Sometimes 1 would miss the opening so just shake and guide it to the rest. Sure is cute to see the parade across the yard!

5. Sunnysimplelife

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    What kind of seeds did you use? I know sounds like a dumb question but I have not given them seed yet and want to make sure I give them what is best for them. I know sunflower seeds but do they have to be shelled?

6. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    We use our "treat call". I walk with a dish, aluminum pan from takeout, etc filled with a little raw oats, some black oil sunflower seed pieces, or other scraps and call, "girrrrr-ls, treeeee-eats" and they come running and follow. I shake the dish for the sound effect. I have to hold the pans high or they will jump and try to tip it out of my hand. I began this when they were very young and now I can do the call without the pan, but I feel better giving them something, when they expect it ;-) My boys do this too and with success, they are 10 and 6. My DH feels silly doing it so he just wrangles ;-)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by