1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best way to get rid of mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tiffanya, Jul 25, 2011.

1. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I'm not 100% sure that I have mites, bit have seen small, red round "bugs" crawling in the bedding of the coop, day and night. There aren't a ton of them but enough that I'm concerned. I cleaned the entire coop a couple week ago and put DE in the new bedding but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. Have other people had good luck with DE? I'd love a non-toxic approach, but it has to be effective! Any other suggestions?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    DE is good to use in coops, however for infestation, it is best to use the hard stuff to rid the coop of them. And from what you describe about red bugs crawling around in your coop, you have mites. You need to really do a good inspection of your coop, roost bars and nest boxes. Mites generally come out at night from their hiding places like under roost bars, nest boxes and such and get on your chickens long enough to suck their blood and then get off and go hide again till the next night. The will lay their eggs under the roost bars, in any wood you have in the coop and any crevices they can find to hide and lay eggs.

I would suggest permethrin spray. It will kill the mites on contact. I don't think it gets the eggs, so you will have to respray again in one week. I will include a link that you can read about mites and there are natural products listed that you can also use. Good luck! And good job on spotting the mites. You have saved your chickens a lot of heart ache if you can control these nasty bugs before they cause trouble for your birds. [​IMG]

http://poultrykeeper.com/chickens/health/red-mite.html

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

For a non-toxic approach, use Manna Pro's "Poultry Protector" spray. It's an enzyme that kills and keeps lice away.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

In my humble opinion, DE isn`t worth the effort to pour it out. Sevin Dust is tried and true. Been using it for decades and it`s safe for broody hens with chicks, so use it........Pop

5. kathye

kathye Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    I have 4 Comets with lots of feathers off their backs, but not the aracanas excepts the rooster. Can just a few get infested? Cleaned really well today and used sevin dust on everything. Also can humans get mites and lice from chickens? My peaflow are in an ajoining pen with no problems. I tried to post a pic, but didn't see how.

Thanks,Kathye

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:You will have to get a few more post under your belt before you can post pics. However it is possible that for now, only a few have mites, but eventually if you have them, all of them will get them. If the hens are loosing feathers on their backs that is probably due to the rooster mounting them. With mite infestation, the feather lose can be more random and any where on the body. Keep the coop dusted with Sevin. You can even put it in their dust bath area so they bath on it and gets under their feathers.

As far as mites getting on humans, I have never heard of chicken mites bothering humans. I am not sure about lice. The Sevin dust will take care of all that.

Oh and [​IMG]

7. Orpygal

Orpygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Eastern Panhandle WV
    Quote:Sevin is toxic to honeybees. Just a thought if you have a neighboring apiary.

8. kathye

kathye Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Thanks for the help!

9. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Quote:I actually picked up a bottle of this at the feed store in town today, before reading the replies to this posting. My thought is that if this non-toxic approach works, great! If not I think ill try the permethrin. Do you need to wait before eating the eggs if you use permethrin? Thanks for the help guys!

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Permethrin and Sevin work well on mites. However if you have mite eggs in the nooks and crannies, and under the perch, the permethrin spray gets into all the cracks. You can eat your hens eggs while using Permethrin or Sevin. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by