best way to give grit&oyster shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by afishel, Jul 19, 2010.

1. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I got grit and oyster shells 4 my chickens today and I wondered to best way to give it to them whether it gets mixed into their laying mash or i leave it in another container??

thank you 4 ur help!!

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I give my laying chickens oyster shell free-choice out of a parakeet feeder I attached to the inside of the coop. I don't supply them with any grit b/c my run is made of sand and they free-range most of the day, so they take what they need. Unless your chickens have no access to the ground/earth/dirt, they don't need supplemental grit.

I hope this helps!

3. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    My chickens have a good sized fenced in area probably 15x20 and I have tried to let them out to free range they come barley outside the fence then right back in 15 mins later!?!?!
    I guess they dont like to come out of their comfort zone!

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:How old are they? Maybe just keep letting them free range until they're comfortable with greater distances from home-base. Chickens aren't huge fans of change, but they will adapt.

5. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I have productions that are 4 months (&laying) and 4 older ones that are 1yr old i think possibly a lil older
    ok I hafta try that [​IMG]

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I just rip open a 50# bag of oyster shells and leave it sitting in the coop. They help themselves....for a very long time.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I like that - an unfussy approach. I just throw some into the run, every 2 weeks or so. If they were out on the land, they'd just nab a rock, here & there.

8. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    those are some good Ideas!!! 4 today I just put a bowl in the coop w shell and grit mixed
    thanks I will keep tryin to let my chickens out I open gate and they poke out then once they all go back in I close gate but I'll start leavin it open longer!

9. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    every two weeks or so I just mix it into their feed for a day or two, never really had problems. They eat it and it's gone. My benefit I get to keep shelled eggs and they get more out of what they eat.

10. HudsonValleyGirl

HudsonValleyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    I add grit to their feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by