1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

best way to give grit&oyster shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by afishel, Jul 19, 2010.

1. afishel

afishel Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I got grit and oyster shells 4 my chickens today and I wondered to best way to give it to them whether it gets mixed into their laying mash or i leave it in another container??

thank you 4 ur help!!

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I give my laying chickens oyster shell free-choice out of a parakeet feeder I attached to the inside of the coop. I don't supply them with any grit b/c my run is made of sand and they free-range most of the day, so they take what they need. Unless your chickens have no access to the ground/earth/dirt, they don't need supplemental grit.

I hope this helps!

3. afishel

afishel Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    My chickens have a good sized fenced in area probably 15x20 and I have tried to let them out to free range they come barley outside the fence then right back in 15 mins later!?!?!
    I guess they dont like to come out of their comfort zone!

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:How old are they? Maybe just keep letting them free range until they're comfortable with greater distances from home-base. Chickens aren't huge fans of change, but they will adapt.

5. afishel

afishel Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I have productions that are 4 months (&laying) and 4 older ones that are 1yr old i think possibly a lil older
    ok I hafta try that [​IMG]

6. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

I just rip open a 50# bag of oyster shells and leave it sitting in the coop. They help themselves....for a very long time.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Songster

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:I like that - an unfussy approach. I just throw some into the run, every 2 weeks or so. If they were out on the land, they'd just nab a rock, here & there.

8. afishel

afishel Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    those are some good Ideas!!! 4 today I just put a bowl in the coop w shell and grit mixed
    thanks I will keep tryin to let my chickens out I open gate and they poke out then once they all go back in I close gate but I'll start leavin it open longer!

9. every two weeks or so I just mix it into their feed for a day or two, never really had problems. They eat it and it's gone. My benefit I get to keep shelled eggs and they get more out of what they eat.

10. HudsonValleyGirl

HudsonValleyGirl In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    I add grit to their feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by