Best way to hatch quail eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mortorffsquail, Jan 19, 2017.

1. mortorffsquail

mortorffsquail Just Hatched

Dec 17, 2016
    USA
    I have heard some tips and tricks over the years but I was curious what everyone thinks are the best methods to use. Im looking to get high hatch rates which I know a lot of that plays from the fertility of the egg(s). I was just curious what were the best ways to incubate them?

2. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    Never had much trouble incubating quail. I use low humidity to start (35 as that's what the incubator seems to stay at with no added water) then 70-80 during hatch. I don't leave the quail in until the rest have hatched especially on the smaller buttons as they seem to be born hungry.

The problems always seem to start once they are hatched. Slippery floors are a guaranteed slipped tendon, poorly designed water dishes will lead to a bunch drowning, Mixing different age groups can be a problem, Lack of light near the feeders especially when using a heating pad cave can result in them staving, poor design of brooder can lead them to jump and get enough speed to knock themselves out.

Good health adults laying healthy eggs normally results in a 80% plus hatch rate. About 5% are quitters with the rest being unfertile. With additional care especially in the collection of the eggs I think I could get do a few percent better. I average about 5% loss between chick to adult (early on while learning its been as high as 60%).

What are you hatch rates at the moment?

3. mortorffsquail

mortorffsquail Just Hatched

Dec 17, 2016
    USA
    They havent been good, Ive collected numerous times during day and left eggs in a cool, no light room and I kep lots of humidity in the incubator during hatch. I dont see whats goin on, the males mate constantly.

4. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    We can trouble shoot the problem if you would like to post the details.

its generally flock, collection, incubator and hatcher.

What type of quail?
    what type of food are they being feed?
    what's the rough male to female ratio?
    How many birds in the flock?
    How many eggs per day?
    What kind of floor are the eggs layed on?
    Estimated age of the flock?
    Any oversized double yoke eggs?
    What's the weather like at the moment?
    What's the feathers look like on the birds?
    Any thing odd going on like death, lack of weight, etc?

When you collect are you storing them and if so how?

What type of incubator?
    what type of turner?
    Do you hatch in the same incubator?
    Type of hatcher?
    Whens the last time it was cleaned?
    How many eggs do you have to remove because of rotten smell?
    Have you tested the temp against more than one thermostat?
    What humidity are you using during incubation?
    what humidity are you using during hatch?
    How many days since you set till they hatch?

What results are you getting including any candling or checking un-hatched eggs? (double bag then cracked to see what's inside the egg.)

I know this is a lot of questions but its the quickest way to work out where the problem exists.

If you have a lot of clears it could be as simple as to many males are stressing the females and knocking each other off while breeding. That would show up in the females having a lot of feather damage to the backs of the necks. If on the other hand you have a lot of late quitters then humidity during incubation would be something to look at. Hopefully with some details we can work out what's going wrong and why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by