best way to integrate new birds into the flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtn_penny, Jun 26, 2010.

1. mtn_penny

mtn_penny Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    We hatched a few chicks earlier in the spring and did not end up selling them all. I would like to integrate them into the flock but the older hens are just being bullies. We did have them in side by side coops for a long time where they could see each other and such. But so far it is a no go when we put the 4 new hens in with the older ones.

Any advice welcome since I am heading on vacation soon and would like to get them moved before then.

thanks

2. Bucky182

Bucky182 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Try placing them in at night when they are a sleep on the roost. I have had good luck with that in the bast when I would put a new rooster in with hens. Often they will wake up and act like they have always been there.

3. mtn_penny

mtn_penny Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    I did a little searching so let me answer a few questions that may come up.

I have 14 Americana hens that are about 18 months old and 4 of the pullets (around 4 months old) that I would like to put together.

They have a 10x10 coop so I think there is plenty enough room. And we are working on a expanded flight area of the coop which will add another 10x10.

I have tried both day and night. I think it was the roo that got the first one so we removed him since we want a new roo next year anyhow. This seemed to work for the first day and the hens were doing fine. After the second night , we found all 4 new hens had scrapes so we removed to doctor.

Now I am stuck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by