1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best way to introduce a 3- week to Two 6- weeks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by adcockfarm, Jan 28, 2017.

1. adcockfarm

adcockfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    We have a 3 week white leghorn, a 6 week barred rock, and a 6 week rhode island red. the two 6 weeks have been together their whole lives, the 3 week has been held A LOT. so, i have heard of the see but don't touch, that has kind of been done the 3 weeks lifetime, but there is a 3 inch or so barrier on the little one's cage, so its harder for her to see. the rhode island red has tucked her under her wing a couple times when they are together (sometimes we put the RIR with her at night), the little one LOVES that.
    we also have put them in a outdoor pen for 10 minutes a couple times with us in there, or put her in the little one's cage for a minute or so just as a test. the barred rock though pecks her if she gets in her way, and she is so innocent and curious she gets in her way often. i have tried tapping her on the back firmly when she pecks her(i read that sometimes a firm tap will do it),but i don't think that does anything but scare the older chick. what else can i do?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd say keep doing what you are doing, putting them together in different places for increasing amounts of time until they get used to each other enough to leave them together full time. Make sure you have plenty of space for them to get away from each other.

3. adcockfarm

adcockfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    Got it! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by