Best way to introduce chicks to broody?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Chickeneer, Feb 9, 2012.

1. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Ok, so Im doing the Valentines day hatch along and there are eight eggs in the bator, they'l hatch next tuesday. Today I went to lock the chickens up, and noticed one was still in the nest box, I put my hand in and she pecked it, so yep shes broody(again). I know allot of people might say give her a couple weeks to see if she is commited before you give her chicks, but by then she probably wont accept them. I know this ones a "commited" broody, the first time she was broody was when she was only 5 months old, and she was on just one eggs(the dummy/fake egg) and it took some hard work to unbroodinize her. She was a tuff one but finaly I got her to stop. I don't want to go through all that trouble to stop her being broody so i'l just give her the chicks. What is the best way to give just hatched chicks to a broody? Thanks in advance for any info. [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Slip them under her after dark on the day the hatch is complete.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, or give her the eggs now and let her hatch them.

4. The Chickeneer

I was thinking about that........but won't it mess up the temp and humidity, because the eggs have already been two weeks in the bator? and what about lockdown? Today I checked on her and found out she was sitting on 2 more eggs, one was hers and another was from a different hen. No idea how the different hen even gained acces to the broodys nest since she seems to not let anyone come near her nest at all lol, but I think I'ts strange that the broody hen even laid an egg.........anyways I put them in the fridge and she is still stitting on the dummy egg so all seems well. and worst case senario, what if she doesent take the chicks? or seems to take them for a while, then later starts pecking them to death?(this has happened to us before....but it wasnt this hen....)

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The eggs will be fine, nature is tougher than that. I know a lot of people that take eggs out of the bator and give them to broody hens. The hen will do a lockdown of sorts, she just won't get off the nest.

Hens will sneak eggs in with the broody, so if you give her the eggs, mark them so you know which ones to take out every day. (or better yet, which ones to leave under the broody)

It's more likely that she will take to the chicks if she hatches them. I can't guarantee nothing will go wrong, you never know for sure until you let them raise babies. But it sounds like she's really determined, so I'm betting she'll be great with them. Give it a try and just keep a close eye on her when they begin hatching.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I know that the chicks will begin to make peeping sounds from inside the egg and the hen will respond to them. I wonder if that is how they know when to "lockdown"?

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    It could also be movement in the egg. She has her skin right up against the shell so she can surely feel them moving about at a certain point. If she feels all of them moving but one, she might kick the still egg out.

9. The Chickeneer

Wow that sounds really interesting, I remember one of my broodys eating the ones that were bad. I wonder why shez still sitting on the dummy egg then lol maybe she is just desperate.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by