Best way to keep chickens "tame"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MalcolmR, May 13, 2010.

1. MalcolmR

MalcolmR Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Hi there. I am in the process of completing a coop, but have no chickens as yet - hoping to get them in the next month or two. We'll have about 6 of them, and they should have a nice roomy coop and run. However, we do want them to free-range as well, if possible.

My question is how to get them as "people-friendly" as possible, to minimise problems in rounding them up, and to be able to handle them comfortably. Do we need to get baby chicks and handle them frequently, or could we get older, laying hens, and train them to be happy around us? Or is it best to handle them less frequently? Any specific breed recommendations? We live in Canada with lots of cold weather, and are planning to have the chickens mainly as "pets" and for a few eggs.

Many thanks, Malcolm

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Well LOL Mine jump on peoples laps during parties...is that tame? The way I did it was take some "candy" (scratch) and give it to anyone who comes over...tell to yell "here chick chick chick" while throwing the scratch on the ground. After about a week of this you will have chickens that sit in laps [​IMG] Mine do that!

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Lots of treats & human contact. I go outside and sit on a milk crate & feed mine oatmeal or veggie scraps. They come running when they see me, looking for their treats. Some will jump up in my lap. The way to a chicken's heart is definitely through their stomach!

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    The way to a chicken's heart is definitely through their stomach!

SO very true! If you use the same bucket every time they get even more excited LOL​

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Oh and another wonderful thing doing this is that IF for any reason you need to put them back in their run (if you have to run out and don't want to leave them unattended) you can get them back into the run at any time of the day [​IMG] They just follow you when you get the "bucket" filled with some scratch [​IMG] Works every time for me. Mine free range all day and I can call them any time and they all come running from every direction. We had people coming to pick up their first chicks from me and they see that and were amazed and took another trio from me because they thought it was so cool that chickens did that so they had to have more lol.

6. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    You don't have to hold them all the time, but offer treats to them they love worms, and grubs you can research lots of yummy things they like and let them come to you on their own terms this way they aren't skittish of your hands. They will have more trust in you that way . This is what we did for our chickens.

Good luck!

7. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    when mine were babies we spent lots of time socializing them. I encouraged them to follow me around the house when we had them out and then outside once they got big enough. now that they're older they still follow me around, and I've introduced treats and they come visit me everytime I go outside.
    I have another flock which is a little younger, and we were much busier building the coop when they were little, and we didn't have as much time to spend with them, and I can tell a HUGE difference with them. They're more flighty, skiddish, and they don't usually follow me very much. So I'd say lots of cuddling and playing when they're babies, and then treats when they're old enough. Good luck!
    [​IMG]

8. MalcolmR

MalcolmR Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Wow!!! This has to be the most amazing forum ever - 6 replies in 10 minutes!!!!

Thanks very much for all of your comments. I'm looking forward to this new adventure very much.

Malcolm

9. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Also, when you are throwing treats make the same noise every time. I say gobble gobble, over and over because I started it and now they don't respond to anything else. It started out funny, so just make sure whatever you choose to say, you won't mind saying all the time.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I have the silliest thing I say, and it's directly related to my neophyte chicken keeping status: "Chickens! I have CHICKENS!"

I said that every time I got to the run gate (with treats). As a matter of fact, I even said it when I opened the bathroom door - the brooder was kept there. Now, I just have to open the back door and say the magic phrase, and they'll all come running. Even when they are free ranging in the back yard.

Now, my closest neighbors are probably tired of me announcing I've got chickens, yet again, every freakin' day, but it's my chicken call. And even the ducks come to it.

Hey, it makes me smile.

Last edited: May 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by