best way to make my girls lay more

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rodeoclown1189, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Rodeoclown1189

Rodeoclown1189 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    East TN
    what is the best way to get hens to lay during this time of year... i usually get a dozen a day out of a 30+chicken flock?

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Give em some red hot peppers in their feed. I dont give mine no set amount, I just dumb in what I feel is enough.

3. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    I didn't have luck with the red pepper flakes but adding light to the coop on a timer sure did the trick. It goes on about 4 in the morning and give the hens about 14 hours of light

4. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    after their molt this fall, I started them on 22% layer pellets. Everyone is happy.

5. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    Better nutrition and clean water = more eggs, depending on what/how you were feeding to start with.

6. elite8

elite8 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    Additional light did the trick for me too. I'm getting more than I did in the summer. Even the wellsummers.

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    some chicken breeds naturally drop production in winter!!!! I let the chickens body do what comes natural. I have a mixed flock with some chickens that are good winter timw layers so i always have eggs

8. southerncomfortfarms

southerncomfortfarms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2010
    Kingsport Tennessee
    Yeah cleaner conditions do aid in production. Ceyenne pepper in their water will aptly make them kick in... make sure they are happy and they should take off. But always consider clean bedding and nesting materials...... I have always had good luck with getting them to lay .... You might too [​IMG]

9. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    We give them more protein and put a light on them.

Brandon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by