Best way to move my 4 week old chicks into brooder with my 7 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by june1684, Nov 20, 2013.

1. june1684

june1684 New Egg

Apr 24, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I ordered some Dominique chicks to raise now so they would be laying by spring. Some did not make it through shipping, so i had to wait for another batch to hatch and ship... They all begin in a smallish brooder in the garage, then due to new chicks coming before first chicks were ready to move, we built another brooder (we will use them both for meat birds in the spring). Because they are nearing the time when they will move to the chicken coop together, i want to know the best way to introduce them to each other... Thanks for any advice!!

2. PineShavings

PineShavings Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Tex
    From what I've seen, at 7 weeks they're still pretty young and haven't started their pecking order. They might do a little fighting where they try to "size up" each other, but most of the fighting is where they're outta food and you give them food and start pushing each other around. Remember, plenty of space is a major key.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At this age, I've just put them in with each other before and they've done fine. They're young enough and close enough in age it shouldn't be a problem like with older birds.

4. june1684

june1684 New Egg

Apr 24, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I kind of thought the same thing, but because I will be away at work while they are "bonding" I wanted some input... I put them in the same brooder this morning, with a wire divider in it so they see each other but cant touch... Thank you!!

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by