1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best way to open quail eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by veggiecanner, Jun 16, 2013.

1. veggiecanner

veggiecanner Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    How do you open the quail eggs to fry them. The shells are giving us some trouble. We end up with thumb in the yolk.

2. Weirdness555

Weirdness555 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    First time cooking quail eggs today! We did it by cracking the shell on the side of the pan, then found that that hadn't broken the membrane, so we slit it with a steak knife.

3. Sycamore27

Sycamore27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Durham, NC
    I used a small sharp knife, tapped the side of the egg about a third of the way around and then slit the membrane with the tip and pulled it open with my fingers. I only broke one yolk cutting too deep before I got the hang of it.
    I've heard of people using cigar clippers but I don't see how you wouldn't break the yolk that way.

Cheers,
    Jessie

4. Chicken-Farmer

Chicken-Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Bought a special pair of quail egg scissors that really do a nice job. I found them on Amazon.

5. VickieB57

VickieB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    A friend gave me a jar of eggs to try, which is why I'm getting some quail soon. I loved the eggs. I opened them by using a very small pair of sharp hair scissors. They worked great.

6. attackrabbit

attackrabbit Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    I just tap them with a sharp knife, and if the membrane is intact I use the tip of a paring knife to cut it. If you hold the egg on its side and tap the top, the yolk tends to settle a little bit and give you a bit more room for error.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    I just take a pointy knife and poke a hole in the middle of the egg. Sort of poke a few more part way around next to the last poke, just enough to get your thumbs in the egg to open it. Sometimes the yolk still breaks, but usually if I work delicately, I can get them to open in good shape. :)

8. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    This is the how I do it.
    We made this video jus to show you how we do it.

Enjoy it!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. veggiecanner

veggiecanner Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    nice I'll show my Husband, he's the breakfast maker.

10. UndergroundQuailRoad

UndergroundQuailRoad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by