Best way to process a muscovy?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by savingdogs, May 15, 2010.

1. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

We are about to embark on processing 10 muscovy ducks, at 12 1/2 weeks per the instructions of the hatchery.

We have never done this before and really want to get a nice meal for our buck and our hard work. Suggestions on how to do it correctly? Do we have to buy duck wax? How do we make sure we avoid that gland or whatever? What is the easiest way to kill a duck.
    I assure you, my husband will do the deed, I won't be home! But I need to get him some good directions. Thanks in advance!

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have not done a muscovie but the ducks I have killed, I had no problem dry plucking (as long as it is done right after the kill when the birds is still warm)except the lower wings which I just cut off.

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have not done a muscovie but the ducks I have killed, I had no problem dry plucking (as long as it is done right after the kill when the birds is still warm)except the lower wings which I just cut off.

4. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    It's pretty much the same as butchering a chicken, except for dealing with all the pin feathers. The information you seek can be found in the meat section notable archives.

Our preference is to use duck wax to remove the remaining down and pin feathers after the first pluck. It is faster than removing them by hand and produces a clean carcass.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We skin ours, it's much faster than plucking.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by