Best way to put chicks under a broody?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GammaPoppyLilyFlutter, May 15, 2011.

1. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    So- I've got a broody. My Cochin bantam, Midge. Since my uncle wants chickens, I'm considering letting Midge raise them from chicks. But I'm going to get them when they're a few days old, because I can only get pullets. But what's the best way to put the chicks under the broody? Putting them behind her? Or in front of her? Or already underneath her?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Wait until night time (make sure it's dark in the coop, too)...then sneak out and shove them underneath her. [​IMG]

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Quote:Wait until night time (make sure it's dark in the coop, too)...then sneak out and shove them underneath her. [​IMG]

Ohh, okay! Thanks!

4. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    This week, we introduced three 1-2 day old Speckled Sussex chicks to our broody Black Australorp hen. She had been trying to hatch a wooden egg for 2 1/2 weeks. We went out a couple hours after dark and stuck the first chick under her. She looked, made clucking noises, and spread herself out to cover the chick. So then we pushed the second two chicks under her. The next morning, all were peeping away and mama hen was clucking happily! She took them out for their first free range session the next morning. She is such a good mama. Any little treats that I give her she shares with her babies first before eating any herself! I love watching them and I'm falling way behind in housework because of it! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Quote:Awhhhhh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by