Best way to raise a laid back, mellow cockerel?

Ciqala

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
New Hampshire
This Spring's batch of 6 Easter Eggers has left me with only 2 pullets, urgh. They're about 8 weeks old now. I plan on keeping one little guy who I've grown quite fond of and want to make sure I raise him right, if he's a demon seed let it be genetics not something I messed up lol. He's VERY mellow, not fearful of running off from me, doesn't bicker with the other chicks his age, over all seems curious of what I may be passing out and comfortable with me. He isn't overly curious or walking up to me more than the others when it's fill their dish time. And seems much more comfortable than the others being around the older flock members.

Once I get rid of the other 3 little guys, the flock will consist of 17 hens and our resident rooster, a 3-4 year old silkie... who is perfect in every way. These chicks are already out in the flock, spent their time in a fenced portion of the run, for the past two days have been loose in with them, only being fenced off in the coop over night w/their food, water and safety from the big girls.

I've heard cockerels tend to be better behaved when raised in a mature flock, is this true? Should I be shooing him away from me now, at his age? I know they're suppose to move away from you, but I don't want to seem threatening/scary to him when he's really just kind of standing there hanging out. I've already seen him run over to two of the other cockerels when they were "fighting" w/hackles raised and chest bumping to stop them and they stopped immediately.

I really like this little booger, and would love to see this all work out. He's got this "hey man, what's going on? I'm just hanging out, doing my thing" kind of attitude about him.

Last edited:
Well that is my theory, that one raised in the flock is a better rooster, understands chicken society and cues.

I would shooing him away, I do want them to give me my space and respect. I think that in the chicken society, you do not have friends with the birds above your pecking order. You give them space. My roosters are below me in pecking order, and are so from the get go.

My two cents.

Mrs K

X2 to Mrs 's post.

I actually train all my animals to move away from me. Not a one is scared of me, but they respect me. When you're carrying hay for a 1000 lb horse, you need them to move out of your space. The animals also understand me inviting them into my space for food, attention, etc.

Thank you to you both
smile.png
I started gently moving him away from me today. I have horses too, and like you teach all my animals to move out of my space. I just adore my chickens so much, I find I lack in that a bit more with them - shame on me. I really like this little guy, so no matter how cute he is... away with you little guy.

This Spring's batch of 6 Easter Eggers has left me with only 2 pullets, urgh. They're about 8 weeks old now. I plan on keeping one little guy who I've grown quite fond of and want to make sure I raise him right, if he's a demon seed let it be genetics not something I messed up lol. He's VERY mellow, not fearful of running off from me, doesn't bicker with the other chicks his age, over all seems curious of what I may be passing out and comfortable with me. He isn't overly curious or walking up to me more than the others when it's fill their dish time. And seems much more comfortable than the others being around the older flock members.

Once I get rid of the other 3 little guys, the flock will consist of 17 hens and our resident rooster, a 3-4 year old silkie... who is perfect in every way. These chicks are already out in the flock, spent their time in a fenced portion of the run, for the past two days have been loose in with them, only being fenced off in the coop over night w/their food, water and safety from the big girls.

I've heard cockerels tend to be better behaved when raised in a mature flock, is this true? Should I be shooing him away from me now, at his age? I know they're suppose to move away from you, but I don't want to seem threatening/scary to him when he's really just kind of standing there hanging out. I've already seen him run over to two of the other cockerels when they were "fighting" w/hackles raised and chest bumping to stop them and they stopped immediately.

I really like this little booger, and would love to see this all work out. He's got this "hey man, what's going on? I'm just hanging out, doing my thing" kind of attitude about him.

Cockerels do tend to be better behaved when raised with a mature rooster who will knock the s-n-o-t out of him if he fails to act like the mature older rooster wishes him to act. However, time waits on no man and roosters are no different. One day in the not so distant future your juvenile rooster will mature and he will then seek to de-throne your older rooster. It may not be pretty but it is inevitable if both your cockerel and your rooster lives and prospers.

Back
Top Bottom