Best way to repurpose this into a coop?

numberoneaggie

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2015
We are brand new to chickens and will be getting 6 pullets this weekend. We will eventually build a 'real' coop, but we need to figure out exactly what we need so are starting small and I'd like to repurpose an armoire initially.

Our main area is a 13' x 12' slab attached to the garage. We plan to use 1/4 metal curtain around the 3 open sides and have the coop inside in the slab. My initial idea is to put this armoire about a foot from the side of the garage and have a ramp secured to the garage one side leading to the back of the armoire where the opening is. The front doors would stay closed, but I can open them for cleaning and egg collection. I would cut ventilation holes on the sides that can be closed if need be. My main question is how should I lay out the interior? Should I stack nesting boxes on one side or along the bottom with a roof/shelf so they don't get pooped in? If I stack them, should I start at the bottom and stack 3, or should I leave the bottom open so they can run the length of the bottom and only stack 2? Do any of you with experience have a better idea for me? If it matters, we're getting 2 Ameraucanas, 2 Australorps and 2 Silkies. Thanks in advance!

Welcome! I don't understand the dimensions of your structure, except it looks unworkable for a coop. The concrete floor is great. Six birds will want at least 4 to 5 sq. ft. each in the coop. (Silkies are fragile and may not live well with your big birds!) If you are in a very warm climate your needs will be different than if you have freezing winters. Ventilation is very important, and shelter from wind and bad weather. Consider building a shed roofed addition to the side of the garage, with large openings on the south side. More pictures? Mary

I think you can rework it. I would build a base to lift it off the ground and put it on its side. The whole in the back could be the entrance, I'd cut it down to the "floor" and put a ramp. The doors could be held shut with rope and opened during the day or when you have to clean. Since you only have 6 chickens you only need about 2 nest boxes. You could put them side by side on one of the short ends. Or just one big one. I have 7 hens andthey all lay in one box although they haw 4 to choose from lol

Thanks for all your advice. We ended up just opting for a sterilite tote as a brooder and now all the flock is outside free ranging and happy as can be! Chicken math got me and we ended up with 8 at first, then got 2 turkeys and 6 more chicks this week. I'm so glad we built a big coop after all!

Back
Top Bottom