1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best way to sanitise a little giant??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silverfilly, Feb 18, 2008.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Ok all chicks hatched in one bator and i need to know the best way to sanitise it? Going to have to get more eggs..oh what should I get now??? Marans and blue orps still in the firt bator, they hatch next weekend but this bator is empty and NEEDS to be filled. This is such an enabling group...DH hates me joining this list..lol

2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    rotfl, welcome to your new addiction and to the board. [​IMG] yep we love to enable. [​IMG] water and bleach but i can't remember the ratio sorry to late and migraine i can't think.

lol i have 80+ eggs in one sportsman cabinate bator and the other one empty i got a hatch due to go in the hatcher in 2 days so i'm useing it for a hatcher.

silkie

3. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    4 weeks ago i was just "resaerching" the "posibility" of geting some chickens, today I have 2 little giants 10 just hatched silkies and 23 eggs still in the one bator and im already looking for more, also just placed my order with Ideal. and when I see them cabinet bator my eyes get big I must restrain myself...sombody stop me!!!

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    BUY ONE!!!!!! You will love it. 380 eggs in the Brinsea. There ... did that help? [​IMG]

5. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    yeah sure that helped..helped me right into a divorce..lol.

but seriously what do you all do with all those chicks? do they sell well at auctions? or do u kjust keep that many??

6. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    well mine holds about 240 or so i can't remember now. it has 6 racks in it but i can't remember how many eggs per rack,lol. i haven't had them but mabe 2 weeks now? before that i had 4 still air foam bators.

my flock is 100+ to many to count, now. [​IMG] i will be down sizeing once the weather is warmer here. cause they had to have more in the coops for warmth for winter as they are not heated. i'm very picky with what i keep and select breed i normally don't keep anything not breeder quality or better but i do have a few pet pens for fun for my 5 kid's.

i sell peeps locally to farmers, friends for pets and 4-h kid's ect. some of these i got to add futer breeders for new bloodlines, some will be for layers and meat. ones from mine will be sold unless kept for potential breeders as they where fertility and quality checks.

7. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I think silverfilly got every answer but the one she asked for. " Best way to sanitize a Little giant??"[​IMG]

8. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    wash with hose then rinse with i cap clorox to 1 gallon of water

9. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    The BEST way is to wash thoughly with antibacterial soap and let it lay in the sun for the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by