1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best way to send chickens to the freezer camp

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chick_magnet, Oct 23, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    I have heard so many ways to end their lives. I hunt therefore i used my bow to shoot them in the head. I die within 4''. Does that seem cruel?

2. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

An accurately placed arrow can stop life just as quickly as any other means, so I personally would think it is just fine. Probably less traumatic for them to be shot than to be caught and manhandled into a cone or onto a chopping block.

3. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Not really I suppose. I would however have thought they would die instantly if shot in the head. Also, you must obviously be a really good shot with that bow of yours because their heads aren't very big.

Some Thais use a catapult over here, but they only do it to immobilize the bird so they can catch it. I know most, including myself, catch the birds at night when they're roosting, but we also tend to do more than one bird at a time and then store them in the freezer. The Thais on the other hand don't kill several at once. Instead, the birds continue living until they're needed for a meal. Here it's a matter of kill, bleed, clean, cut up, and then into the pot it goes. And, when I say into the pot it goes, I mean everything apart from the crop and the intestines. When they bleed the bird, the blood also gets collected in a bowl and is later added to the soup.

Anyway......back to topic.[​IMG]

4. chick_magnet

May 25, 2010
    Quote:thanks my shots are alright. I shoot at them about 20 yards away. I don't know if i used the 4' wrong. I meant four seconds. It'll drop but the legs would be kicking. The hardest part about it is waiting. Sometime I would wait 20 to 30 minutes for a good shot to present itself. my chickens rarely keep its head still. I do it because I enjoy shooting my bow.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  5. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Forgot to mention.........I know one person who just tosses some treats down, and then uses a length of bamboo to whack the unsuspecting bird's neck, which of course is then broken instantly. Sounds cruel, but I don't suppose it's worse than any other method.

6. dcrab

dcrab New Egg

Sep 23, 2010
    This was an interesting forum. haha.

7. chick_magnet

May 25, 2010
    Quote:welcome to backyard chickens. How do you do yours

8. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    I enjoy spinning the tires on my '69 GTO... I never thought about it, but that could be pretty self-gratifying.

9. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you mean running over your chickens with your car............I suppose that would be a rather quick death for them, but then they would be like trout and you'd have to pick little tiny bone slivers outta the meat or risk choking on it. [​IMG]

ETA: Of course spinning your tires on them would have the advantage of tearing off the feathers thus making plucking MUCH easier!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  10. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    So, I guess if they're heading off for freezer camp, I don't need to pack them a suitcase.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by