Best way to set up new pond

diosa

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 23, 2014
Hey, I've just scored a 150 gallon pondliner. What is the best way to set it up for my 4 ducks. I have a small urban garden and live iN BC,Canada. Winter is fast approaching. Daily draining of the small tub we have right now isn't working that well. Our soil doesn't drain well and we are close to the water table. I would prefer some kind of pump and filter system and maybe keep it above ground so they can't dabble all the mud in there. Any fairly easy, economical ideas out there?

i would build kind of a type of above ground pool you know out of wood of core, but leave the middle empty so the perimeter is just outlined, and try to get the liner middle, i really can help until i see the liner , can you post a picture?, what I'm imagining is like hard to describe

Last edited:
I've only seen a few designs but this one was first and I like it's simplicity

0.jpg

Its pretty huge. 150 gallon and about 6ftx4ftx18inches. I was thinking of having it above ground with a homemade Skippy filter and a duckponic grow bed using a sump pump. My yard can't handle all the water with constant draining cos we're pretty wet here already and its a small yard. I have 4 ducks. If I keep it above ground will I need a heater to stop it freezing or will the pump movement be enough. We get down to about minus 20 Max in BC.

Thanks enriquec. That's what I was thinking plus a Skippy filter. If I keep it above ground I might be able to do a gravity fed system with the pump after the filters instead of in the pond so the pump doesn't have to deal with the crud. Anyone got this type of system going?

Thanks enriquec. That's what I was thinking plus a Skippy filter. If I do everything above ground I van probly do a gravity fed system with the pump after the filters so it doesn't have to deal with the crud. Does anyone have that kind of system running successfully with ducks?

Back
Top Bottom