Best way to sex a week old turkey baby

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by R.M. Hens, May 9, 2011.

1. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    Any way to sex a week old baby turkey? If so, how?

Finnisher likes this.
  2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    There is another way.

Put the turkey where you can see it well. Then stare at it long and hard. Don't let it out of your sight. Keep staring until you know. You may have to stare for quite a while. It usually takes me about 12 weeks. Then I'm pretty sure [​IMG] But I have still been wrong!

4 people like this.
  4. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    I am ok with hands on but have no idea what I should be looking for. Lol @ Lagerdogger. You really had me going for a few seconds.

Thanks for the help.

5. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Turkeys are not easy to vent sex and requires a very highly trained person if it is done. Commercially turkeys are not vent sexed. Hatcheries also will not vent sex a turkey. Instead they use a sexlinked long and short feathering cross. With this cross there is no need for a expert.

If I do not use a sex linked color in my cross, I don't even try to sex a turkey poult until they are at least 3 months. Then I am still wrong many times until 4-6 months.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

delete

7. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    I have turkeys that are 3 weeks old today. I have seen a couple of them dancing and spreading their feathers like a big tom. I'm assuming these are for sure males? Is it usual for them to start acting/looking like this at this age?

Should I grab and band them to identify them, or will they soon start to do this alot making it easy to tell at a glance?

8. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:SORRY MY CAP IS LOCKED.

HATCHERIES ARE SEXING BROADBREASTED TURKEYS BY FEATHER SEXING. IDEAL, PRIVETT, AND WELPS SEX BBB AND BBW TURKEYS. THEY WILL BE USING THE FEATHER SEXING SOON ON HERITAGE TURKEYS ONCE THIS GENE IS IN THE FLOCKS.

WHY WOULD YOU THINK PEOPLE WOULD NOT WANT THE TOMS?

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  9. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Quote:There's a video of that on youtube lol! I watched it with interest several times over when trying to vent sex my clutch of chicks last year. I determined that I was, in fact, an idiot coz I couldn't see a bump on any of them! Turned out all five were girls haha!

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

delete

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by